« Home | App Store unable to download application » | Programming Projects:Virtual Mac OS X SimulationTi... »

Discovering the iPad

The iPad is one of the most innovative projects Apple ever came up with. It is a very elegant, portable computing device that many people have got to know and love. Here are some of the outlines that show why people love this device:

Very light way device, able to be carried on a book back, purse, or even your hands
Extended battery life lasting up to 10 hours
Instant on/off capability
Able to connect to the web using wifi or data networks
Wide range of accessories, including covers, pens, keyboards, ect, as well as Bluetooth devices
Comes pre-loaded with a lot of useful high quality software
Able to be loaded with TONS of extra apps both free and paid from the AppStore

The iPad has become an integral part of my life. I used to have a MacBook Pro, which I would carry with me to most parts. But it was a heavy gadget, with about 2-3 hours of battery life, and very inconvenient to be able to turn it on and off on demand. When the iPad came out, it became my laptop. I love and enjoy my iPad a lot. I take it with me everywhere I go that I know I will be able to use it, including work, school, traveling, ect. I love that you can just pop it out of my bag and it is instantly on the moment that I flip the cover open. If I need to put it down, it is as easy and fast as closing the cover and bagging it.

This little device enables me to easily and conveniently achieve many different tasks. On one hand, it is my main entertainment device. I can listen to music on it, watch tv and movies, read articles or websites online, and play games, and even do blogging as I am doing right now! I also use it as my personal financial helper, enabling me to keep track of bills and paying all of them online, keeping track of income/expenses, ect. My iPad is also a wonderful tool that helps me keep in close contact with my friends and family. Using email, I can write to them or send them files/pictures. Using Facebook I can not only write to them, but check what they have been doing, see pictures and interests, and share information almost instantly. If not in the mood of typing, how about doing video talking? Using apps like Facetime, Tango, and Yahoo family and friends as far as the opposite side of the world can see me live and talk like we are sitting beside each other. The iPad is also an excellent education tool. There are tons of apps that you can choose from that are loaded with rich education content. No wonder why my 3 year old baby girl Lily loves it so much. It is easy for her to use, and learn by playing games with Dora, or any other cartoon characters she like.

In summary, the iPad is a wonderful device. It is a little costly (regular iPad stars at 499 plus tax), but trust me, it is worth every penny of it's price. If you can afford it, go for it, you won't regret it. It is a very powerful investment, and you can do so much more with it that it will keep you busy and entertained for a long while to come :).

Here are some of the favorite apps I use:

Financial:
Mint (keeping track of expenses/income/assets)
1Password (easy online bill access and paying)
Expense (bill reminder)
Credit Karma (credit tracking and education, super useful information and not a scam)

Social/email/online communication:
Facebook
Tango (easy video chatting between devices using iOS or android)
Yahoo
TextFree (text messaging capabilities to any phones over the internet)
Gmail

Education:
Nat Geo
Star Tracking

e-Commerce:
eBay
Deliveries (easy package tracking)